Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dollar Store Centers #5...

I saw these in the dollar bin or T-get and had to have them. I knew right away that they would be perfect for teaching guide words (not to mention I bought one to try to help my husband get organized-it's laying in the floor of his truck, oh well!).
We are working on dictionary skills right now. I wrote different guide words on six of the sticker tabs:

Then I simply wrote entry words that would be found on those pages on notecards (100 for a dollar :) He had to file them behind the appropriate guide words:

And, as you can see, by my adorable goofball- he's thinking hard (at least thinking hard about how to be a ham for the camera!). This was great practice. He missed a few of the ones he had to go to the 3rd or 4th letter which was a great chance to talk about it.

Now that we've done guide words I have to think of something else cool to do with these- not to mention I have a pink one just waiting to be something cool for a first grade girl I know!

3 comments:

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw those at Target for $1.00! :) I think I bought about 10 of them - they are just so handy to have around. Love the way you ended up using them!!

crispy said...

You are my kind of gal. Very creative with the learning. I have a feeling I will be inspired.

Dana said...

I've been browsing your blog and you do some really fun stuff with your kids! I think I clicked over here from Tot School in a roundabout way - hope you don't mind if I visit once in a while and borrow your great ideas!