Saturday, September 5, 2009

Dollar Store Centers #4 (My Favorite So Far)...

I was ridiculously excited by this center because I thought it was so cute and fun. I was at the check out counter in the dollar store when I looked up and saw this pink fly swatter with flower. I knew Ashton would love it so jumped out of line and ran to get it. Of course, then I had to think of a way to make it educational :)
Right now she is beginning to learn all the different blends and digraphs. I just looked up bug clip art on my word processing program and was pleasantly surprised at how many cute ones there were. Then I labeled each bug with a blend, printed on cardstock, cut them out and was ready to let the swatting begin.

This time I just made the sound of the blend and she was to swat it. In the future I will say a word with that blend or make the sound and she has to say a word with the blend as she swats it. She was thrilled with this center. The only problem was she didn't want to swat the "pretty butterflies"!

The blends are just the beginning. I plan on making sight word and addition fact bugs.

Now I need to find a camo flyswatter for my son and make up parts of speech or multiplication product bugs!

3 comments:

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

Great idea!! I plan on getting a swatter tomorrow :).

Anonymous said...

What a wonderfully creative idea! Thanks for submitting it for Homeschool Showcase!

Darlene said...

You are an absolute genius my friend! I'm so using this idea! :-)