Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Conversation with My 7 Year Old Son...

I have to get this down before I forget it:

Jackson: Mom, I feel different.
Me: In what way?
J: I'm being nice to the babies...
Me: What do you think has made that difference?
J: Well, it was my friend Parker. He was always saying bad words and making me say bad words cause I was like part of their gang, but I didn't want to be.
Me: You said bad words?
J: Well, maybe but I didn't want to. They tricked me. They would make me hold my tongue and say words that would sound like bad words, but I didn't know.
Me: There's going to be a lot of people in your life that try to make you do things. You have to stand up for yourself.
J: I'm just so glad to be away from all of them. They were making my heart feel black. I don't like that feeling. I'm glad to be homeschooled.
Me: Me too, baby, me too.


For several months now Jackson has been crying that his heart hurt. He always said it felt black. We prayed with him and for him, but he continually complained to the point that I asked the doctor about it and was ready to talk to Pastor Reagan about it. Now I think it was some things he had done but was too embarrassed to tell us about or maybe stress from some situations he was in that the Holy Spirit was convicting him about. Regardless, I am glad to have him home for however long we decide to stay on this road. I have to make sure I use this time to equip him with a foundation to withstand the world. What a big responsibility and mostly what an honor!

2 comments:

Betty said...

Ohhhh!!! What an honor and privelege you and Jon have!

And how awesome is it that Jackson can talk so openly to you guys about this. He is truly blessed to live in a loving Christian home.

Thanks for sharing!

Angie said...

This post just shows what many of us suspect: that our children are being influenced (often negatively!) at school regardless of what we are doing at home! I read this post to a dear friend of mine who is in the process of transferring her kindergartener to a Christian private school, and we felt SO CONVICTED in our choices - me as a homeschooler, and her as a "no more public school" parent! THANK YOU!!! Your son is awesome, and you and your husband have obviously been doing the Lord's work for Jackson to be so affected by the negative forces out there.

Keep up the AWESOME work you are doing for Jesus!! Prayers and blessings on you all...
Angie