Sunday, September 9, 2012

Making Big Words…

Making Words was a book I loved as a classroom teacher, but I had never thought of using it with my kids until I saw it on another blog. Basically, you take a big word out of something you are studying to be your mystery word. We were studying penguins so Ashton's mystery word was penguin and Jackson's was Antarctica. Then you cut the letters apart, Besides figuring out the mystery word they are also supposed to try to see how many 2, 3, 4, and 5 letter words they can make out of the letters.
They had so much fun doing this. It was a great exercise for spelling.
It was good that I gave them different words so they had to come up with their own lists.
(Ashton's hair was in pigtails with her hair shaped into bows on top. It was so cute I wished this picture did it justice.)
DSC_0253
I got these printables from Early Bird Homeschool blog.DSC_0255
Can't wait to try this again with some new words.DSC_0256

No comments: