Wednesday, June 9, 2010

In My Happy Place...

We are on a short summer break. I have a new cheaper ink printer. I bought some fun organizing thing. My house is clean (for me anyway). My kids are attending VBS with friends this week (they're gone from 7-1!) and next week they'll be at summer camp from 8-5 each day. What does all this equal? Planning time!

There's something you need to know about me. I'm a planning junkie! There's not much else I'd rather be doing. Now that we are on a break I should probably be relaxing or scrapbooking or something, but instead I am planning for next year. It is great.
I am determined to get lots of stuff planned, printed, cut, ordered, and organized before school starts. Once we are in the full swing of things, I never have time to do all those things well enough. I am so tired of treading water in our school i.e. scrambling around that morning figuring out what is next. I know it's impossible to plan too specifically (for us anyway) but I can get the broad strokes prepared.
So, here's what I've been doing that I'll be sharing more about later:
1. Ordering the next needed books in our curriculum. I love the feeling of knowing a box is going to show up on your porch at any minute!
2. Ordering two new highly recommended history curriculum: Story of the World and Mystery of History. I plan to use them together.
3. Planning fun crafts and getting the supplies together. I love this website: No Time for Flashcards
4. Helping the kids come up with some fun summer topics they are interested in studying. I've just ordered some Download N Go units they each chose. I just got them, but they are really looking promising.
5. I'm finding some great Tot Tools to make at Tired, Need Sleep that I want to make starting with a felt board. I'm hoping the big kids can help make some for some crafting-avoid-the-TV-fun.
6. I'm writing my own TN history curriculum to use with the big kids.
7. Most of all, I've been printing, cutting, and laminating an amazing free letter curriculum I found at one of my favorite blogs, Confessions of a Homeschooler. Did I mention it is free???
Now I'll just have to pull some activities for Tot School out of my organized file folder and school will be on! Priceless!
What a fun week, although my printer would probably like a break. Sleep is overrated anyway...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now is the perfect time to plan. I am a planner myself. I still try to bring in a little bit of income by tutoring on the side, but the summer months are the perfect time to relax, plan, and buy home school supplies for the following year. www.k12schoolsupplies.net has some fantastic deals. I buy a lot of my supplies from this site.